Picture of John Day

Carbon Monoxide Prevention

carbon monoxide intoxication

According to The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, each year 15,000 people will seek emergency medical treatment for unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning and another 500 will die. Fortunately though, carbon monoxide poisoning and deaths are preventable. Below are some general carbon monoxide safety tips:

  1. Never run a vehicle inside a garage attached to your house. This is true even if the garage door is open.
  2. Ensure you stove or fireplace is properly vented before burning anything in it.
  3. Install a carbon monoxide detector in your home. Be sure the detector is either battery-operated or has a battery-back up. Be sure to replace the batteries when the time changes each year in the spring and fall.
  4. Do not try to heat your house with a gas oven, even for a short period of time.
  5. Once a year, have your gas, oil or coal-burning appliances (heat system, water heater, etc) serviced by a qualified provider.
  6. If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, and you are experienced light-headedness, a headache, dizziness or nausea, immediately seek fresh air and then obtain prompt medical attention.
  7. Do not use catalytic heaters (flameless chemical heaters) inside. While these types of heaters do not have a flame, because they use gas, they can still produce carbon monoxide.
  8. Only purchase gas equipment bearing the seal of a national testing agency such as Underwriters' Laboratories.
  9. Have a qualified technician check and, if necessary, clean your chimney each year. Blocked and partially blocked chimneys can allow carbon monoxide to accumulate inside the home.
  10. Do not use a charcoal or barbecue grill inside.
  11. Do not use a generator inside your home or garage.
  12. Once a year, have a qualified mechanic inspect the exhaust system of your car.
  13. See our separate pages of carbon monoxide safety tips for boaters and carbon monoxide safety tips for users of recreational vehicles.

If you or a loved one has been the victim of carbon monoxide poisoning, contact one of our award-winning attorneys for a free, no-obligation consultation. We handle all carbon monoxide poisoning and death cases on a contingency basis, which means we only get paid if we recover money for you and your family. From anywhere in Tennessee, call us at 615-742-4880 or toll-free at 866-812-8787 or contact us online. We have recovered more than $100 million dollars for our clients and we want to help you too.

Client Reviews
Everything was great. You guys are a great representative. I was satisfied with everything. Truly appreciate John Day and his hard-working staff.
★★★★★
We thought that you did an excellent job in representing us in our lawsuit. We would recommend you to anyone. Mitch Deese
★★★★★
The Law Offices of John Day is, without a doubt, the best in Nashville! They treated me with the utmost respect and tended to my every need. No question went unanswered. I was always kept informed of every step in the process. I received phenomenal results; I couldn't ask for more. I would definitely hire the Law Offices of John Day again. Anthony Santiago
★★★★★
I would definitely recommend to anyone to hire John Day's law firm because everyone was helpful, made everything clear and got the job done. I am satisfied with how my case was handled. June Keomahavong
★★★★★
It's been a long battle but this firm has been very efficient and has done a remarkable job for me! I highly recommend them to anyone needing legal assistance. Everyone has always been very kind and kept me informed of all actions promptly. Linda Bush
★★★★★
I had a great experience with the Law Offices of John Day. The staff was very accommodating, and my phone calls/emails were always responded to in a timely manner. They made the entire process very easy and stress-free for me, and I had confidence that my case was in good hands. I am very happy with the results, and I highly recommend! Casey Hutchinson
★★★★★