Smith County, Tennessee
Car Accident Cases in Smith County
And, of course, we handle motor vehicle accidents including car wrecks, tractor-trailer crashes, bus accidents, motorcycle accidents, uninsured and underinsured motorist cases and accidents involving bicycles and pedestrians. Because Interstate 40 runs through the southern portion of Smith County, the county sees a significant number of crashes. The Tennessee Department of Safety accumulates data on each county's crash rate. From 2015 to 2019, Smith County had the following rankings:
- Overall Crash Rate: 11th
- Fatal Crash Rate: 28th
- Injury Crash Rate: 24th
- Motorcycle Crash Rate: 39th
- Alcohol-Impaired Fatality Rate: 83rd
- Alcohol-Impaired Crash Rate: 55th
- Speeding Crash Rate: 6th
- Young Driver (Ages 15-24) Crash Rate: 13th
- Senior Driver (Ages 65+) Crash Rate: 36th
We Can Help You and Your Family
We have handled thousands of personal injury and wrongful death cases so we know how to investigate and analyze them so that all responsible parties are held accountable. And, we know the value of your case so you do not settle for less than you truly deserve. And for our clients who are victims of catastrophic, life-changing accidents, we can also help set up college education funds for children, help find long-term care, etc.
Smith County Judges and Court Information
If we have to file suit to protect your rights, Smith County is located in the 15th Judicial District. The following individual presides over civil cases in the 15th Judicial District Circuit Court:
The 15th Judicial District has established Local Rules which govern the day to day operations of the court. The Local Rules can be reviewed here on the Administrative Office of the Courts website.
For the 2010-2011 reporting period, 23 tort cases (claims for personal injury or wrongful death) were filed in Smith County but not a single tort case went to trial. In 2011-2012, 18 tort cases were filed in Smith County. And again, not a single tort case went to trial. For 2012-2013, 23 tort cases were filed in Smith County but zero tort cases were tried in Smith County. In 2013-2014, 19 tort cases were filed, and again not a single one went to trial. In 2014-2015, tort filings were down slightly to 18 and, for the fifth year in row, not a single tort case went to trial. For the 2015-2016 reporting period, 24 tort cases were filed, and again, none of those cases went to trial. During the 2016-2017 reporting period, 22 injury or death cases were filed and 1 was tried. The injury victim lost that case. In 2017-2018, 26 injury and death cases were filed but none were tried. In 2018-2019, 14 injury and/or death cases were filed and 1 was tried. Again, the injury victim lost that trial. The last year referenced for this data is the 2018-2019 reporting period.
John Day has created a new website (BirdDog Law) to give citizens, judges, and lawyers important information about the court system of every county in Tennessee, including updated trial statistics in each of the 95 counties. For more recent information and an understanding of the trends in jury and nonjury personal injury and wrongful death cases in Smith County, please click on the link.
We Are Different
These case statistics highlight just how critical it is to choose the right lawyer to represent you. So why should you hire us? John Day and his team are considered the preeminent injury attorneys in the State, and here are just a few reasons why:
- John Day wrote literally wrote the books on injury and trial law in Tennessee. The books are cited by, referred to, and relied upon by judges and lawyers across the State.
- We have a nurse on staff full-time. She provides invaluably assistance with medical questions and medical issues.
- We are aggressive and we know how to get results. We have won millions and millions of dollars for our satisfied clients.
- We do not get paid unless we get money for you. But more importantly, and unlike other lawyers, we do not charge interest on case advances. Nor do we require or clients to obtain litigation loans. For more information on our fees and the case expenses we advance, click here.
- We are accessible. We return phone calls and emails promptly and provide thoughtful and needed answers.
- We focus on injury cases. Unlike a lot of lawyers, we do not handle child custody matters, bankruptcies, adoptions, real estate closings, divorces wills, trusts, corporate or criminal matters. By limiting our practice, we know the ins and outs and every nuance of civil litigation and injury law including recent changes created by the Tennessee Legislature.
We invite you to review our awards, our credentials and our successes and then contact us today so we can get started helping you put your life back together by getting you the compensation you deserve. Contact us online or call us at any of our three convenient Middle Tennessee locations:
Toll-free at 866-812-8787