Motorcycle Accidents Caused by Dogs on the Road
One risk presented to motorcycle operators and their passengers is that of a dog running into the roadway. While striking a dog with a car can result in serious injury or death to the dog, striking a dog with a motorcycle can result in serious injury or death to the motorcycle operator and his or her passenger.
A person who owns or otherwise takes responsibility for a dog is not supposed to let the dog run at large. Subject to certain exceptions, if a person who regularly harbors, keeps or exercises control over a dog lets that dog run at large and the dog causes a motorcycle crash, the dog owner is responsible for the crash and the resulting injuries.
This type of claim against the person who harbors, keeps or exercises control over the dog will often result in a claim under a homeowner’s insurance policy. Of course, if the person has individual assets, a claim can be made against those assets as well.
One challenge to this type of case is identifying the dog and then identifying the person who regularly harbors, keeps or exercises control over the dog. This requires prompt investigate of the wreck. It is helpful to start this investigation before the motorcycle is repaired or sold for salvage, because often the bike will contain blood or hair of the dog that can be used for identification purposes.
As experienced motorcycle accident attorneys, the Law Offices of John Day, P.C. can help you investigate this type of accident and bring a claim against those responsible for your wreck. Our firm accepts these cases on a no recovery, no fee basis.
- Motorcycle Accidents at Intersections
- Motorcycle Accidents Near Driveways
- Motorcycle Crashes Involving a Lay-Down by the Biker
- Motorcycle Accidents Caused by Being Run off the Road
- Why Uninsured Motorist Insurance Coverage is Essential for Motorcyclists
- Injured Motorcycle Passengers
- Failure to Wear a Helmet in a Motorcycle Accident
- Drinking and Driving a Motorcycle
- Passenger Claims against Intoxicated Motorcycle Drivers
- Negligent Repair of Motorcycles
- Motorcycle Defects
- Motorcycle Accidents Caused by Dogs on the Road